Operation Sleigh - A Christmas WhatIf

From Apollo and Soyuz, to Gerry Anderson, Irwin Allen, Star Wars and Trek to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and those strange, doe-eyed Japanese school girls...to any model kits you can think of, that only exists in imagination.
Motley
Active Participant

Operation Sleigh - A Christmas WhatIf

Post by Motley »

As World War 2 was slowly continuing on and the Nazi's hold on Europe grew stronger, the Allies were desperately trying to fight back. In the run up to Christmas 1942, Father Christmas while doing his Good and Naughty lists thought enough was enough and that the Hitler and the Nazi’s had been bad for too long and that it was time that they were punished. So Father Christmas went to the Allies to offer his help, and in turn of his workshops to help with the war production the Allies decided to give him a plane that he could modify to take the fight to the Germans. Being the best Allied fighter of the war the allies gave him his very own Spitfire and he and his elves set about modifying it to carry out a special operation to help end the war by Christmas, this operation would be known as Operation Sleigh.

So on with the build, i originally was going to do this idea last christmas but ever got round to it but after seeing a Airfix Btk Spitfire on ebay cheap i remembered my plan and decided to do it, so far ive managed to take all the pieces of the sprue and clean them up and then managed to get the cockpit done and the fuselarge closed up, with only 24 pieces the Btk kit really does just fall apart,

Im hoping to have this done by next Sunday if i can, already got a good idea of how to paint the plane once ive got it built :ha:

Hope everyone enjoys my little festive story and everyone has a good holiday and a good Christmas :)
"When a prang (crash) seems inevitable, endeavor to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slow and gently as possible." - Advice given to RAF pilots during WWII
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Re: Operation Sleigh - A Christmas WhatIf

Post by splash »

Will it have a red nose?
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Narayan
If anyone needs me, I'll be in my office

Post by Narayan »

Any progress?

‘I then realised my appearance was a bit odd. My right leg was no longer with me. It had caught somewhere in the top of the cockpit as I tried to leave my Spitfire.’
Group Captain Douglas Bader CBE DSO DFC

A:B
2012 00:00 2009 19:16
2011 11:10 2008 16:03
2010 44:12

Overall 173:46
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

splash wrote:Will it have a red nose?
Maybee :ha:
Narayan wrote:Any progress?

‘I then realised my appearance was a bit odd. My right leg was no longer with me. It had caught somewhere in the top of the cockpit as I tried to leave my Spitfire.’
Group Captain Douglas Bader CBE DSO DFC

A:B
2012 00:00 2009 19:16
2011 11:10 2008 16:03
2010 44:12

Overall 173:46
There has been, havent had much time over christmas and didnt get it done in time but im working on it again, the plane is together, but there was large gaps in the wing root so used a proper filler for the first time, was abit of an experience :ha: but its all put together filled sanded and even white washed so the pain will go on better, hopefully going to paint it tomorrow and i do have pictures ill put up later if i remember :)
"When a prang (crash) seems inevitable, endeavor to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slow and gently as possible." - Advice given to RAF pilots during WWII
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

looking forward to seeing this one.

Regards
Splash
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

Quick update on this as it slowly moves forward :)

First i got everything together and gave it all a quick white wash with some white paint to sort of prime it/get rid of the horrible blue, something ive never done before,

Next glued it ll together but the wing section didnt want to join with the fuselarge hence the Rubber band and look at the lovely gaps at the wing root :roll:

So i tried to fill the gaps, first time ive ever used a proper filler on a model, another first on this build, i feel that i did an okay job with it and i also got most of the detail painted to,

And last but not least i got the underside coated in Hu90 and started painting the main scheme on top, gives you an idea what Santas new Sleigh is going to look like :ha:

Enjoy :)
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Ahhh a red nose I like it.

Regards
Splash
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

Finally finished it, bit late for chirstmas but hey ho, i present to you Father Christmas gift from the Allies to take on Hitler, his very own Spitfire in his own camo scheme :-D

Thing i might have to build some more planes in this scheme, have a christmas airforce :-D

And finally forget Rudolph the red nosed reindeer, this is a red nosed Spitfire :ha:

bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Nice one, i like it very much.
BEEN A WHILE
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Aaaaarrgggghhh! My eyes! My eyes! :shock:

Aaaah...that's better 8-)

Very cool, Motley. Ready for this year's Crimble then.

Regards,
Bruce
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

MerlinJones wrote:Aaaaarrgggghhh! My eyes! My eyes! :shock:

Aaaah...that's better 8-)

Very cool, Motley. Ready for this year's Crimble then.

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce, ive got plans already for part 2 for this years Crimbo :-D , Operation Sleigh i can see being an on going project for me :)

Return to “Real Space, Sci-Fi and What-iffery”